“I continue to find what happens to people when they go to work fascinating. I love helping people solve their problems. This continues to be challenging and interesting to me after 20-plus years, which is why I do it for a living.”
As co-founder and co-managing partner at Rubin Thomlinson LLP, Janice Rubin brings to the table, not only her skills in employment law, but also her experience in running a successful business. When working with clients, Janice keeps a constant eye on value while solving problems efficiently and practically.
Janice has long been fascinated by what happens to people when they go to work and is fueled by her passion to make the workplace function better. With 20-plus years of experience, Janice is an astute judge and strategic thinker with a knack for cutting right through the complexity to see the essential kernel of the issue. Janice’s approach to helping her clients is pragmatic, creative, and includes a good dose of common sense – an approach she instills in the culture at Rubin Thomlinson.
Honoured as one of Canada’s Best Lawyers, Janice is widely renown for her work representing employers and employees and workplace investigation. She has co-authored two books, Human Resources Guide to Workplace Investigations along with Partner Christine Thomlinson, and the second edition of Law of Termination. A master communicator and public speaker, Janice is frequently requested by the media to comment on employment law issues. She teaches a variety of educational programs for both lawyers and human resource professionals and has taught courses on employment law at Osgoode Hall Law School.
A committed volunteer, Janice was the Chair of the Canadian Women’s Foundation initiative to help women living in poverty, “Women Moving Women.”
Janice has received many awards and accolades including:
- Finalist RBC Canadian Woman Entrepreneur of the Year 2008 with Christine Thomlinson
- Lexpert Leading Practitioner since 2008
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rating
- Included on The Best Lawyers in Canada list since 2006
- Included on the Canadian Who’s Who list since 2010
- Received the Employment Lawyer of the Year Award as part of the 2015 National HR Awards
- Nominated for Canadian Lawyer Magazine’s Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers 2015
- RT listed in the top 10 in Canadian Lawyer Magazine’s Top Employment Law Boutiques 2016
- Honourable Mention for RT in Canadian Lawyer Magazine’s Top Employment Law Boutiques 2012
- Profit/Chatelaine W100 Finalist
- Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada since 2014
- 2014 Lexpert® Zenith Award for Practice Excellence in Employment Law
- Year of Call, 1991
- B.A., University of Toronto (graduated with distinction)
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School
- Basic Negotiation Skills Certification, Harvard Law School
- Mediation Skills Certification, CDR Associates
- Advanced Negotiation Skills Certification, Harvard Law School
- Investigation Certification, John E. Reid & Associates
- Certificate in Adjudication for Administrative Agencies, Boards & Tribunals, Society of Ontario Adjudicators and Regulators
- Member: Law Society of Upper Canada, Ontario Bar Association
Most Recent Blog Posts:
- Ten Things I Know at Ten
- Are you listening Dan Pink?
- The challenge of the unrepresented party: Consider this case from the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
- Ontario’s new Sexual Violence and Harassment Action Plan Act and Why Workplace Investigations Have Suddenly Become More Important
- Should you conduct a workplace investigation for your own client?